IMARI
Imari porcelain was started in the early 17th century.The earlier kilns were built at the west side of the current
town of Arita (Nabeshima Territory) and also in the neighboring area of Hasami (Omura Clan) and Mikawachi
(Hirado Matsura Clan). This area grew freely and rapidly with increasing export industry of the porcelains to the
western world.

In 1637, Saga Han ruled by Nabeshima Clan started to put more restrictions on the growth of the local industry
and in 1647, the main production of Saga was moved to the eastern side near Izumi-yama where the source of
porcelain stone was found and also the groups of the factories spread around Hizen area were categorized
into the groups of uchi-yama, soto-yama and oh-soto-yama . Uchiyama is a factory group inside,
soto-yama, a
factory group outside and
oh-soto-yama, in the further outside area. Because of the kilns of the time were built
on the hill side called nobori-gama, the factory group was called yama (mountain).
The uchi-yama was located at the original Arita sarayama area from Izumiyama to Iwatanigawachi. The
soto-yama included Hokao, Kuromuta, Ohbo, Nangawara, Hirose at Nishi Arita, Ichinose and Ohkawachi at
the current Imari City. Oh-soto-yama in the outer area were Tsutsue, Yumino, Shida, Kotaji, Yoshida and
Uchino.

Neighboring to these factories controlled by the Saga-han, there were Hasami factories retained by
Ohmura-han and Mikawachi factories by Hirado-han.
Kilns & Factories in the Hizen Province
Hizen Kilns in Edo Period
Location of the Hizen Factories